Aggregate Water Absorption Test
What is Aggregates?
Aggregate is a building material that is mixed in fixed proportion with other building materials Like:- Cement and sand to produce concrete.
Before using any kind of materials, we have to check the quality of that materials.
Water Absorption Test
- After unloading of metal, collect small quantities of metal from different parts of the heap.
- Mix these quantities and take exactly 2 Kg of metal in a container.
- Add clean water to totally submerge the metal.
- Let it be submersed for 24 hours.
- Weigh the wet metal. The weight will be more than 2 Kg. Note down the difference in weight. Calculate the absorption by the following formula.
% Absorption = (Difference in weight / Original weight) x 100
For metal to be used in concrete work, water absorption should not be more than 5%.