What is water cement ratio? How Much Water Required for 1 Bag of Cement?
What is the Water cement ratio? W/C Ratio.
- In civil engineering, the W/C Ratio means the ratio between the weight of water to the weight of cement used in the concrete mix. Or the amount of water which we used in the cement concrete.
- we know that the water-cement ratio directly affects the strength of concrete If we use a limited amount of water for cement concrete so it will give us a good strength of concrete.
- The typical Water cement ratio for different grades of concrete varies from around 0.40 to 0.60.
What Happens? If we add excess water to concrete?
- The most essential ingredient for concrete is water.
- Excess water in concrete means shrinkage, cracking and reduced overall strength of concrete.
- Adding too much water to concrete is very difficult to handle, and segregation and bleeding issues in concrete.
Why do we use water in cement?
If we don’t use the water in cement concrete, we can not mix the concrete because the water can perform a good role in Concrete. therefore water is the main key for Cement concrete which can combine all the materials with each other and give us the good strength of any Construction work.
Normally we used the water-cement ratio that falls under 0.4 to 0.6 as per IS Code 10262 (2009) for nominal mix M7.5, M10, M15, M20, and M25.
How to know how much water is required in concrete for proper mixing?
- If our water-cement ratio is proper for concrete becomes more durable, porosity, and colour will be balanced.
- If we required higher quality concrete is desired: 0.4 W/C Ratio.
But which value is best for the water-cement ratio from 0.40 to 0.60.
- A ratio of 0.30 is made concrete too stiff.
- A ratio of 0.7 makes concrete wet and fairly weak concrete.
Normal compressive strength when concrete is proper cured
- 0.4 Water-Cement Ratio -> 5600 psi
- 0.7 Water-Cement Ratio -> 2200 psi
How to Calculate water-cement ratio?
If the Water Cement ratio is 0.50 for concrete and cement is added is about 50KG By weight.
Water Required for concrete will be,
- Water/ Cement = 0.50
We Calculate water for 50 KG of cement.
- Water = 0.50 X 50 (50KG Cement)
- Water = 25 KG.