What is Water Stopper or Water Bar? Explain types of Water Stopper.
WHAT IS A WATER STOPPER OR WATER BAR?
Water stoppers or water bars are flexible tape-like elements of a concrete structure that are embedded to prevent the passages of water or any fluids through concrete joints. These joints are the critical feature that challenging the water tightness in practical construction procedure as it facilitates a path for water penetration. Minimizing the construction joints is an important consideration for the construction of a water tank, water sump, and manholes. These water stoppers are usually made of galvanized steel, copper, rubber bituminous material, or plastic material.
GENERAL FEATURES OF WATER STOPPERS OR WATER BARS
- Ease durability and flexibility for operating conditions.
- Non-toxic materials are required to make the water bars for water tanks and water sumps used to contain drinking water.
- Rigid enough to place firmly in position and shape during the installation and concrete placements.
- Create a bond between concrete without letting a previous concrete.
APPLICATIONS OF WATER STOPPERS OR WATER BARS
Water stoppers are used in the construction industry to provide support as waterproofing. Water stoppers are used in the water and transportation industry to improve the quality of construction. Some common structural applications are;
- Water and sewage disposal projects`
- Liquid Containments
- Dams, channels, tunnels and tanks
- Box culverts and locks
- Primary and secondary containment structures
- Bridges and decks abutments
- Wall and slabs
- Basements and foundations
ADVANTAGES/USE OF WATER STOPPERS OR WATER BARS
- Supporting as a waterproofing seal at the construction joints.
- Allowing the independent movement of each section at the joints to protect the structural movements of the sections.
PROBLEMS WHILE EMBEDDING PVC WATER STOPPERS OR WATER BARS
- Improper compaction around the PVC water stop creates a high probability of honeycombs patterns in the concrete.
- Concrete shrinkage leads to smalls gaps between the PVC and concrete.
- PVC as a material will never borne to concrete.
TYPES OF WATER STOPPER OR WATER BARS
Based on the type of material, we can classify the water stoppers in the following categories;
- PVC Water stop
- HDPE Water stop
- TVP Water stop
- Rubber Water bar
Visit our Channel for more information.