What is POP ? Advantages & disadvantages of Plaster of Paris.
What is Plaster of Paris ( POP )?
POP False Ceiling is nowadays a trend at every place. It is basically a dropped ceiling or we can say the second ceiling.
Plaster of Paris (POP) is a building material having hard substance Gypsum as its main component. It is used for coating walls and ceilings and also for creating architectural designs. Plaster of Paris is manufactured as a dry powder and is mixed with water to form a paste when used. Below are some of its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of Plaster of Paris.
- It is light in weight and more durable.
- It has low thermal conductivity.
- Plaster of Paris (POP) is resistant to fire.
- It is heat insulating material.
- POP does not shrink while setting. Therefore, it does not develop cracks on heating or setting.
- It forms a thick surface to resist normal knocks after drying.
- It mixes up easily with water and is easy to spread and level.
- POP has good adhesion on fibrous materials.
- It gives a firm surface on which the colours can settle.
- It has no appreciable chemical action on paint and does not cause alkali attack.
- Plaster of Paris gives a decorative interior finish. Its gypsum content provides it a lot of shine and smoothness.
- It can easily be moulded into any shape.
- Once it is fixed, it is fixed. It becomes very difficult to remove POP.
Disadvantages of Plaster of Paris.
- It cannot be used in moist situations.
- It is not suitable in moist environments.
- Plaster of Paris cannot be mixed with cement.
- Gypsum plaster is not suitable for exterior finish as it is slightly soluble in water.
- Plaster of Paris is very expensive as compared to Gypsum.
- It is more expensive than cement or cement lime plaster.
- The material used is chlorine which is very dangerous in its natural state.
- They are not so solid so if something heavy is hanged with the ceiling, it can damage the ceiling as well as the object.
- It can only be fixed by expects, hence very expensive for precise application and thus labour cost for applying plaster of Paris is high.
- If they are not maintained well i.e. if regular cleaning is not there, POP false ceiling can be home for many spiders and other insects.
Also read more useful or very important topic on Civil Engineering, Click Below Topics.