Different Types of Concrete Curing Compounds, their Properties and Benefits
What is Concrete Curing Compound?
Curing plays an important role on strength development and durability of concrete. Curing is essential for the hydration of cement in concrete making. So, to maintain required moisture content, come precautions are applied. Concrete curing compound is a compound which helps to prevent the loss of moisture content from the concrete. So, concrete is properly cured which results the full development of strength of concrete.
Types of Concrete Curing Compound
If wet curing is not possible, then curing compound can be used to cure the concrete surface. There are so many Types of curing compound in concrete.
- Synthetic resin compound.
- Acrylic compound.
- Wax compound.
- Chlorinated rubber compound.
Synthetic Resin Concrete Curing Compound
Synthetic resins will seal the concrete by forming membrane. If we want to provide plastering, the membrane can be removed by washing it with hot water.
Acrylic Concrete Curing Compound
Acrylic is made of polymers of acrylic acid. It also seals the concrete in good manner. It is having property of adhesion to the subsequent plaster. No need to wash the surface of acrylic with hot water if we want to provide plastering.
Wax Concrete Curing Compound
Wax compound have similar properties like resin compound. The wax membrane will lose its efficiency with time increment.
Chlorinated Rubber Curing compound
Chlorinated rubber type curing compound will form thick layer when we applied. It seals the concrete tightly and also fills the minute pores present in the concrete. But the film cannot stay for longer period. It is wear out in the long run.
Properties of Concrete Curing Compound
There are 5 properties to decide the quality of concrete curing with compound.
- Water retention
- Drying period
- Long term setting
- Non-volatile matter
Uses of Concrete Curing Compound
There are so many uses of curing compound in concrete.
- If Curing areas of concrete surfaces which are large & opened to sunlight, wind etc. curing is big task. But with the presence of curing compound it is easier.
- Curing compound can be use to concrete pavements, run ways, Concrete pavements, airport runways, bridge decks, industrial floors etc. can be cured to reach their maximum strength.
- Maximum durability of structure will be developed.
- Curing compound can be used for curing of canal linings, dams and other irrigation related structures.
- we can use curing compound for Columns, beams, slabs.
- The membrane cane removed easily after complete curing.
- Chimneys, cooling towers and other tall structures.
Read More With TTC