ADVANTAGES / DISADVANTAGE OF PRE-ENGINEERED BUILDING (PEB)
ADVANTAGES OF PRE-ENGINEERED BUILDING (PEB):
- Erection Time – The connections of all the components used in a PEB are standard and thus the erection time is comparatively faster than the conventional buildings.
- Reduced Construction Time: Buildings are typically delivered in just a few weeks after approval of drawings. The structural components are comparatively fast designed in software. Foundations and anchor bolts are cast parallelly and time consumption is minimized due to fast assembling and bolting. After completion, PEB reduces the total construction cost by the least 40%, leading to speedier occupancy and revenue.
- Less Manpower – Most of the work in PEB construction is done in the industries thus the requirement of manpower at the site is comparatively less.
- Flexibility in Design – The steel structures are designed in software and are fabricated with machines; thus, desired shapes can be customized whenever required.
- Cost-Effective – Lower cost is another benefit due to the saving in design, manufacturing, and on-site erection cost. Moreover, materials and manpower are minimised in the overall cost of construction is reduced.
- Larger Span – PEB buildings can be given up to 90m clear spans which is an advantage of PEB with column-free space.
- Low Maintenance – Modern metal finishes and coatings will help the steel panels to resist corrosion, chemical attacks, etc., and also the steel surfaces can be easily repaired if damaged.
- Scope of Future Expansion – PEB structure can be easily expanded in length by adding additional bays. Expansion in width and height is also possible by pre-designing for future expansion.
- Quality Control – As building components are designed and manufactured completely in a factory under the supervision of a Quality control engineer, hence the quality is assured.
- Seismic and Weather Resistance – The superstructure made of steel is light in weight, flexible and can withstand extreme weather conditions including wind, water, and earthquakes.
- Warranty of PEB – The manufacturers of PEB used to provide a warranty period of 20 years.
DISADVANTAGES OF PRE-ENGINEERED BUILDINGS (PEB):
- Rusting/Corrosion Sensitive – If the quality of steel used or paint used for coating steel parts is not of good quality, or not properly maintained in the steel frames then it can damage the structure and thus reduces the life of the structure.
- Insulation Cost – As insulating the building to an agreeable benchmark will furthermore add to your construction costs.
- Low Fire Resistance – During a fire, this type of building becomes more susceptible to damage due to its conductivity.