What is the Responsibilities of AE (Assistant Engineer) in Government Organization.
Responsibilities of Assistant Engineer (Civil) in Government Departments based on CPWD ( Central Public Works Department ) SOP (Standard Operating Procedure).
Test Checking of Measurements
Test check by the Assistant Engineer
- The Assistant Engineer satisfies himself/ herself before passing a bill for payment, or before submitting it to the Divisional Officer for payment, that the work or supply billed for has actually been carried out/completed in accordance with the terms and conditions of the contract.
- The Assistant Engineer is to personally inspect all the works of any magnitude and submit the same to division office before for payment.
He/She is required to check measure the works in his/her charge as below:
- All items of work in a project irrespective of their cost, are and recorded by the Junior Engineer-in-charge of the work. It is, however, open to the Assistant Engineer to record measurements for any particular item of work himself. In case of absence of Junior Engineer, the Assistant Engineer records measurements.
- The Officer accepting the tender for any work may stipulate and require the Assistant Engineer to record measurements himself or exercise 100% check on the measurements recorded by his subordinate for any item including those, which, owing to their situation, cannot subsequently be checked measured or which have very high unit rates or which in the opinion of the Officer are important.
- Important works, within meaning of the above, include items which owing to the situation cannot be subsequently checked or which have very high unit rates. For guidance, these items are classified generally as below: –
- Items of work which owing to their situation cannot subsequently be checked.
- All work below ground level such as Concrete, Masonry, Steel work etc. In foundation.
- Fabricated Steel work in columns, beams, etc. which are encased either in masonry or concrete, reinforcement in RCC/RB work.
- Wood work, Iron work etc. hidden by ceilings, wall panelling or floor boarding’s.
- Bitumen painting of roofs under mud phuska and tiles paving or under terrace concrete.
- Water proofing compounds used in gauging cement.
- Lines of pipes buried in floor or masonry in Internal sanitary, water supply or drainage installations.
- Earthing installation, cable laying etc.
- Items of works which are considered to have very high unit rates:
- RCC Work.
- Items in sunk ashlar stone or marble work, plain sunk or moulded in walls, columns, arches or domes.
- Stone or marble work in wall lining. All steel cladding, structural glazing etc.
- Wood work in Chowkhats, frames or trusses in Indian or Burmah Teakwood.
- All joinery work in shutters, trellis works, miscellaneous wood work etc. Whether in Indian Teak or Burma Teakwood.
- Oxidized brass or other similar costly fittings of doors, windows etc. where payable separately and all brass
- Major equipments for AC, lifts, Generator sets, Sub-station equipment’s, fireworks.
- any other items desired by Engineer-in-charge.
In case of works at headquarters of the Sub-Division, AE should check measure not less than 50% of the value of the measurements recorded by his/her Junior Engineer before any running/final bill is paid. In case of works outside headquarters of the Sub-Division, the Assistant Engineer should check measure upto 50% of the value of work done before preparing final bills or before making payment of alternate running/final bills.
- Works at headquarters of the Sub-Division, AE should check measure not less than 50% of the value of the measurements recorded by his Junior Engineer before any running/final bill is paid.
- In case of works outside headquarters of the Sub-Division, the Assistant Engineer should check measure upto 50% of the value of work done before preparing final bills or before making payment of alternate running/final bills.
- While test checking the works of repetitive type, the Assistant Engineer (Elect) should test check 100% of all items of at least one unit, taken at random, besides test checking isolated and individual items in other units to bring the total extent of check measurement.
- To the desired limit of 50% of value of work done.
- Besides the mandatory test check of RCC and hidden items of work, the test check of measurements by Assistant Engineer shall also include not less than 50% of the plumbing work for sanitary and water supply wherever applicable.
- In the case of works outside the headquarters of the Sub Division costing upto 20% of his tender acceptance power, check measurements by the Assistant Engineer need not be insisted upon. He will, however, have to accept general responsibility for the correctness of the bill as a whole.
Below Post Also Boost-Up Your Knowledge.