What is Self-leveling Concrete ? Advantage or Proprieties of SLC
What is Self-Leveling Concrete (SLC)?
Self-leveling concrete is a polymer modified high performance concrete that have the ability to flow, compact and provide a leveled surface when poured over an area. Self-leveling concrete does not require vibration as required for normal concrete.
Properties of Self-Leveling Concrete (SLC)
- Low Plastic Viscosity.
- High Flow-ability.
- Low segregation.
- Low Bleeding.
Low Plastic Viscosity
The low plastic property of SLC increase the flow ability properties which imparts the self-leveling property. The balance and proportion of the above-mentioned properties in mix design helps to design the desired SLC concrete.
Providing low viscosity of the concrete mix can result in stability issues. This can result in high segregation and bleeding problems. This low viscosity or high flow-ability is introduced by the addition of super plasticizes or polymer agents that maintains the stability without affecting the flow-ability characteristics.
Low segregation / Low Bleeding
The viscosity agents added prevents the settling down of aggregates that causes segregation and keep the cohesiveness of the mix within the bond which in turn helps in avoiding bleeding. Maintain the viscosity throughout the layer without letting the aggregates to settle at the bottom.
High-homogeneity is received by self-leveling concrete with its self-leveling property. The flow-ability properties of self-leveling concrete is greater when compared with self-compacting concrete. This increase in flow-ability is one reason to obtain good finish in final hardened SLC
Advantages of Self-Leveling Concrete (SLC)
- Ease of Application.
- Labor required less.
- Leveled and smooth surface is obtained.
- Water Resistant surface is obtained.
- SLC concrete gives flat and smooth surface.
- Best choice of heavily reinforced concrete construction.
- Hardening of concrete is taking place in a homogeneous way.
- Best option where form-work is arranged in unusual geometry.
- Compressive strength higher than traditional concrete.
- Self-leveling concrete give cohesive concrete that resits bleeding and segregation issues.